Head of Open Source at Blockstack
New York City | Engineering | Full-time | Updated: April 30, 2019, 8:11 p.m.
Blockstack is a decentralized computing platform. It’s the easiest way to build decentralized apps that can scale. More info here.
Blockstack PBC, a public benefit corp, has a mission to enable an open, decentralized internet which will benefit all internet users by giving them more control over information and computation. Blockstack PBC has raised $50M+ in capital to develop core protocols and developer tools for the ecosystem. Being a Public Benefit Corp also means we have goals beyond profit, and that allows us to focus on universal human rights and sharing the value created in our ecosystem.
Blockstack PBC is headquartered in New York City, with a globally distributed team located across Hong Kong, Gambia, Barcelona, Toronto, and Seattle.
We’re looking for a Head of Open Source to increase development in our open source community.In this role you will interface with the Blockstack PBC engineers, developers building decentralized apps, and most importantly the broader open-source community to prioritize feature development of our open source software. You will lay the groundwork in strategy and implementation to motivate 1000s of engineers to open PRs that improve the Blockstack codebase.
- Be responsible for the development of all ecosystem projects/repositories that are not explicitly maintained by Blockstack PBC engineers and are developed by the broader open-source community.
- Be a critical liaison between our development community and internal engineering team.
- Introduce engineering processes that engagement our open source community and increase number of pull requests across repositories.
- Ensure that the Blockstack open-source software meets criteria of Blockstack engineering quality and values; we go above and beyond the call of duty to protect Blockstack users.
- Increase our open source engagement, shape and drive open source metrics
- Assist the Blockstack community with difficult to answer architecture and engineering questions, and provide senior engineering problem solving guidance.
- Work closely with the Blockstack PBC CEO and Head of Engineering to shape the roadmap of Blockstack software.
- 5+ years development experience and a strong open source portfolio
-Built OSS that produces code at a scale many times larger than your internal team.
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong project management skills
- Desire to work in a transparent open-source structure with many contributors(not reporting to you).
- A formal training in CS and can take a deep dive on design decisions with core engineers.
- Familiarity with crypto protocols and blockchains or a strong passion to learn this rapidly developing technology.
- Passion for enabling fundamental digital rights for all internet users.